Friday, April 13, 2007

Beauty


I spent last week with some beautiful ladies – the types that draw you in with their smiles. She would never admit it but my grandma is one of the most beautiful women I know.

Each woman is a matriarch of a family tree. Ladies of significance. They’ve lived through a Depression, a World War, and cell phones. Their stories are so rich – they were ravishing.

We spent hours around a small kitchen table, drinking tea and telling stories. My Grandma sat with her sisters talking about life on the farm, Scotland, and childhood.

The sisters were teenagers again - talking about first dates. Other times they were older – planning for the future. It was a privilege to watch – I wanted to soak it all in.

Sometimes they would just sit and hold hands.

My Great Aunt has dementia. Her sister came from Alberta to share a cup of tea. Her mind has become a puzzle- leaving her thoughts in fragments. Within the confusion there were a few moments of clarity. Sweet minutes – never to be forgotten.

A week later, I can’t stop thinking about those ladies. About the laughter piercing through a hard reality. It was a celebration of life. Perhaps we need to celebrate life more.

1 comment:

David Wiebe said...

Love this one Kim. I had a scottish Nana who was one of the coolest people I've known, loved adventure as much as I do. Cherish the memories :)